• News
    The Telegraph

    Shopworkers’ refusal to wear masks is resulting in hundreds of complaints, survey shows

    Shopworkers’ refusal to wear masks is causing “conflict at the cash register” and sparking hundreds of complaints, a new survey shows. While members of the public who visit supermarkets, banks and clothing stores must wear a face covering, the people who work in those venues do not. This split has caused anger amongst shoppers, who have made more than 350 complaints to companies, mainly about staff not being masked and the failure of retailers to enforce social distancing. A study by Resolver, an online complaints platform, showed that between March and July, some 2,008 people specifically mentioned face masks when making a complaint, with 500 coming in July alone. While 443 complaints were made about online retailers, some 363 people had issues in high street shops. Alex Neill of Resolver said the rise in complaints revealed a genuine sense of confusion about what the rules were and how they have been implemented in food outlets, supermarkets and shopping centres. He said: “Our data shows that members of the public are becoming increasingly angry about people failing to wear masks in public, particularly on public transport and in shops. “It also reveals a genuine sense of confusion about what the rules are and how they’ve been implemented in food outlets, supermarkets and shopping centres. “If we’re to avoid conflict at the cash registers then the Government needs to step up their efforts to clearly communicate the rules and be firmer in how they will be enforced.” In a remarkable illustration of the problem, Boris Johnson visited a bicycle repair shop in Beeston on Tuesday. He wore a face mask, while the owner did not. While police have the power to issue a fine of £100, there have been concerns raised that enforcing face mask rules in shops is "unrealistic and unfair," if shoppers refuse to wear face coverings in England. John Apter, chairman of the Police Federation of England and Wales, which represents rank and file officers said: "Policing the wearing of face coverings in shops can't be a priority because we simply don't have the resources. "To expect my colleagues to be policing the supermarket aisles, looking for those shoppers not wearing a face covering, is unrealistic and unfair.”

  • News
    Evening Standard

    Tommy Robinson flees abroad claiming his family are 'no longer safe in the UK' following arson

    Tommy Robinson says he has gone abroad and is seeking to relocate because he believes his family are no longer safe in the UK.A video circulating on social media shows Mr Robinson discussing an arson "incident" several weeks ago.

  • News
    The Telegraph

    Ghislaine Maxwell loses 'extraordinary' last-minute appeal to stop release of 'embarrassing' confidential documents

    Ghislaine Maxwell has lost a desperate last-minute appeal to stop “embarrassing” confidential documents from being released. US District Judge Loretta Preska confirmed her ruling that the files must be unsealed and released to the public, despite Ms Maxwell’s lawyers' “extraordinary request” for her to reconsider. The British socialite, 58, had tried to argue that the government wrongfully used depositions filed in her civil lawsuit to bring criminal charges. She is currently answering a number of suits brought by victims of associate Jeffrey Epstein, the disgraced financier found dead in his prison cell last year. Her lawyers charged on Wednesday that prosecutors in a separate criminal case used confidential depositions she made in 2016 in the civil case that is now being consideration by Judge Preska. The defamation suit was filed in 2015 by Virginia Roberts Giuffre, who alleges she was abused by Epstein and pimped out to powerful figures including Prince Andrew, and confidentially settled in 2017. The Duke of York has denied all allegations.

  • Sport
    FOX News Videos

    Divvy bike riders carjack 82-year-old in Streeterville

    Chicago Police surveillance cameras capture the moment a large group of Divvy bike riders carjacks an 82-year-old in the Streeterville area of Chicago.

  • Celebrity
    Hello!

    Elizabeth Hurley shares heart-stopping bikini photo – and we've never seen this shade of blue

    Elizabeth Hurley shared the most beautiful photo of herself wearing an electric blue bikini on Tuesday – and the star's exact swimsuit is currently in the sale.MORE: Elizabeth Hurley poses nearly naked in her garden and Jeremy Clarkson has the best reactionTaking to Instagram, Elizabeth could be seen smiling from ear to ear as she posed up a storm in the Freya two-piece, revealing that it was currently on sale in honour of World Conservation Day.Loading the player... WATCH: Elizabeth Hurley exercises in her bikini Online shoppers can now bag the aqua coloured bikini with a 30% discount when they enter code EXT30, as per doting mum Elizabeth's instructions. MORE: Elizabeth Hurley looks upbeat as she returns to social media following Steve Bing's deathElizabeth looked stunning MORE: Elizabeth Hurley reveals pride for son Damian following his latest achievementWhat's more, the bikini is made from body-sculpting, Italian lycra, so is sure to look flattering on all body shapes.Elizabeth is known for her eye-popping social media posts, and often shows off her stunning figure. Earlier in July, she floored fans when she posted a picture of herself lying down on the grass leaving very little to the imagination.In the snap, the 55-year-old could be seen with her eyes closed, smiling up at the sun whilst wearing a striped bikini bottom and a white linen robe – which was completely open and showing off her toned torso."Home, sweet home countrylife," she captioned the post.Fans were quick to react, with one writing: "Goddess." Another one commented: "55 and hotter than most 19 year olds."The most surprising comment of all, however, was the one posted by Jeremy Clarkson, who simply wrote: "Crickey."Elizabeth's followers found the response amusing and it soon received over 185 likes. Many commented back, completely agreeing with the former Top Gear presenter."Well said," one told Jeremy. Another one wrote: "Excellent comment." A third one hilariously remarked: "Here here… Bet you wouldn't mind taking that beaut for a test drive..."Like this story? Sign up to our newsletter to get other stories like this delivered straight to your inbox.

  • Entertainment
    The Independent

    Coronavirus: 14 members of family test positive for Covid-19 and one dies after holding mask-free party

    One woman has died and a man is on life support following an unmasked social gathering which infected 14 family members with the coronavirus last month.The event’s host, Tony Green, now says the consequences were “a harsh lesson in the reality of Covid-19”, having earlier doubted the threat posed by the virus.

  • Celebrity
    Hello!

    Prince Harry and Meghan Markle set to return to London for Brooklyn Beckham's wedding?

    Brooklyn Beckham and Nicola Peltz will undoubtedly have a star-studded guestlist for their wedding, and it's likely that it will include some of our favourite royals.SEE: Brooklyn Beckham reveals incredible way he proposed to Nicola PeltzDavid Beckham has been good friends with Prince Harry and William for several yearsBrooklyn's parents David and Victoria have a good relationship with Prince Harry and Meghan Markle, and the couple were even lucky enough to attend the royal wedding at Windsor Castle on 19 May 2018. It would make sense for the Duke and Duchess of Sussex to attend their friends' son Brooklyn's wedding, and David and Victoria would surely enjoy their company.  MORE: Brooklyn Beckham's engagement ring for Nicola Peltz will blow your mindDavid and Victoria Beckham attended Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's royal weddingAfter attending Meghan and Harry's big day, the two couples have remained close. In February 2020, David opened up about Harry's big life changes after becoming a married man, a new father, and moving to Canada."I haven't spoken to Harry about him moving," David said in an interview with E Online. "We speak as friends and that's the most important thing for me. I think he's enjoying being a young father for the first time and that's what we always spoke about. We love him and he's an amazing person – and that's the most important thing – but I'm proud to see him growing up as an individual and being that person that every father wants to be."Loading the player...WATCH: David Beckham gives Prince William and Kate Middleton baby adviceDavid and Victoria were also guests at Prince William and Kate Middleton's 2011 ceremony Westminster Abbey, who will likely receive an invite to Brooklyn's big day. David and Victoria struck up a relationship with the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge after working together on the London Olympic bid in 2007, and when the Beckhams relocated to England from LA, they became even closer with the royals.David and Victoria also attended Prince William and Kate Middleton's nuptialsDavid spoke out about William and Kate as new parents ahead of the arrival of Prince George in 2013. "They're going to be amazing parents because they are so loving towards children," he said during an interview with Sky News. "We've seen William grow from that young boy into an unbelievable gentleman. And that as a father is really important."Other potential guests include Elton John as Brooklyn's godfather and, of course, Victoria's fellow former Spice Girls: Mel C, Mel B, Geri Horner and Emma Bunton. Make sure you never miss a ROYAL story! Sign up to our newsletter to get all of our celebrity, royal and lifestyle news delivered directly to your inbox.